Saturday 19 February 2022

28 MORAL FABLES FROM SANSKRIT LITERATURE-TALE 19






 THE STORY OF KEETA

One day when Yudhishtra said: "Wishing to live and wishing to die, many persons surrender their lives in the great sacrifice (of Battle). O omniscient one, tell me the reason for this?"

Bhishma replied: "All creatures in this world, live according to a certain pattern. Regarding this I shall narrate to you , a conversation that took place between vyasa and a crawling worm (Keeta)

Once when the Rishi was roaming over the world he saw on the road, a worm moving quickly. Vyasa, who was well versed in the language of worms, accosted him thus : "O Worm ! why are you in such  a hurry to cross the road which is  so busy with moving vehicles ?"

The worm replied, "O great one, I am stricken with fear on hearing the noise of these big chariots. Death is considered by all creatures to be painful. Therefore I am going away in haste to protect my self."

Thus addressed, Vyasa remarked: "I think you should welcome death, for sound, touch, taste, scent and other enjoyments are unknown to you."

The worm replied: "I may be a lowly creature but I too enjoy life and do not want to lose it. In my former life, I was a human being and wealthy. I was cruel, vile in conduct, harsh in speech. I was greedy and treated both animals and human beings with disrespect. However, I did  two meritorious deeds- I looked after my old mother and entertained a Brahmana.

For these two actions, O knowing one, you should help me to regain my happiness." vyasa said: "After various births, you shall be born a Brahmana and then I shall impart you, the knowledge of Brahman (the supreme)."

Agreeing to the words of vyasa, the worm stayed on the road. Soon he was crushed to death by a moving vehicle. After taking various births as a hedge-hog, an iguana, a boar, a deer, a bird, a chandala and a Vaishya, the worm was born as a Kshatriya prince. Remembering his previous births he practised severe austerities. Then following the advice of sage vyasa, he began to cherish and protect his subjects righteously. Soon, on account of his good actions, he was able to renounce his kshatriya body and be born a Brahmana"

Bhisma concluded saying, "Thus the worm, taking the wise counsel of sage vyasa from time to time, was able to attain the highest status of a Brahmana by his good deeds. Therefore O prince, these kshatriyas who have died on the battle field, have all attained a meritorious end. So do not mourn on their account.''

(This story is taken from the Mahaa Bharatam, Aadhi Parva.)

(#WriteAPageADay, today's word count = 441)

This is a part of Blogchatter's write a page a day campaign.

https://www.theblogchatter.com/campaign-registrations/write-a-page-a-day

No comments:

Post a Comment

WASAVADHATTHAA (VASAVADHATTHAA) (26.04.2024)

  WASAVADHATTHAA  (VASAVADHATTHAA)           Wasavadhatthaa is the chief queen of the king Vatsaraja (Udhayana) in all the plays like Svap...