Friday, 3 April 2026

COURAGEOUS KARṆA

 


    Karṇa (कर्ण), one of the most heroic figures of the Mahabharata, stands as a symbol of undaunted courage (शौर्य), generosity (दानवीरता), loyalty, and tragic destiny. Though born to Kunti and the Sun-god Surya, he was raised by a charioteer family and constantly struggled against social rejection—yet remained fearless.

Below are key Sanskrit verses reflecting Karṇa’s courage, with transliteration and translation.

Karṇa’s Fearlessness in Battle

 (Mahābhārata, Udyoga Parva)

न मे भयमस्ति संग्रामे न मृत्योरपि कर्हिचित्। धर्म्याद्धि युद्धाच्छ्रेयोऽन्यन्न कर्म पश्यामि कर्हिचित्॥

na me bhayam asti saṅgrāme na mṛtyor api karhicit |
dharmy
ād dhi yuddhāc chreyo ’nyan na karma paśyāmi karhicit ||

I have no fear in battle, nor even of death at any time.  For I see no greater duty than a righteous war.

This highlights Karṇa’s absolute valor and warrior’s resolve.

2. Karṇa’s Loyalty to Duryodhana

 (Mahābhārata)

भृत्योऽस्मि तव राजेन्द्र यावज्जीवं न संशयः। त्यजेयं जीवितं शत्रोः न त्वां दुर्योधनं प्रभो॥

bhṛtyo’smi tava rājendra yāvaj-jīvaṁ na saṁśayaḥ |
tyajeya
ṁ jīvitaṁ śatroḥ na tvāṁ duryodhanaṁ prabho ||

O King! I am your servant as long as I live—without doubt.  I may give up my life in battle, but never will I abandon you, O Duryodhana.

Shows Karṇa’s unyielding loyalty, even when it leads to tragedy.

Karṇa’s Supreme Generosity (Dāna-vīra)

Context: Karṇa gives away his divine armor (कवच) and earrings (कुण्डल) to Indra in disguise.

(Mahābhārata, Vana Parva – gist)

देयं इति यदुक्तं मे न तत् त्याज्यं कथंचन। ब्राह्मणाय प्रदास्यामि यद्यप्येतन्मम प्रियम्॥

deyaṁ iti yad uktaṁ me na tat tyājyaṁ kathañcana |
brāhma
ṇāya pradāsyāmi yady apy etan mama priyam ||

What I have once resolved to give can never be withheld.  I shall give it to the Brāhmaṇa, even though it is most dear to me.

This act defines Karṇa as Dāna-vīra (the great giver)—courage not only in war, but in sacrifice.

4. Karṇa’s Dialogue with Krishna

When Krishna reveals Karṇa’s true birth and invites him to join the Pāṇḍavas:

(Mahābhārata, Udyoga Parva – gist)

न शक्यं मया त्यक्तुं मित्रं दुर्योधनं प्रभो। ऋणं तस्य मया कार्यं जीवितेनापि केशव॥

na śakyaṁ mayā tyaktuṁ mitraṁ duryodhanaṁ prabho |
ṛṇaṁ tasya mayā kāryaṁ jīvitena api keśava ||

I cannot abandon my friend Duryodhana, O Lord.  I must repay his debt - even with my very life, O Keśava.

Here shines Karṇa’s moral courage and gratitude, even above personal gain.

                              

5. Karṇa’s Tragic Heroism on the Battlefield

(Mahābhārata, Karṇa Parva – sentiment)

हतो वा प्राप्स्यसि स्वर्गं जित्वा वा भोक्ष्यसे महीम्। तस्मादुत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिश्चयः॥

(Though spoken to Arjuna, this ideal equally reflects Karṇa’s warrior spirit.)

hato vā prāpsyasi svargaṁ jitvā vā bhokṣyase mahīm |
tasm
ād uttiṣṭha kaunteya yuddhāya kṛta-niścayaḥ ||

If slain, you attain heaven; if victorious, you enjoy the earth.
Therefore arise, determined to fight.

Karṇa lived and died by this Kṣatriya ideal of courage.

Character Analysis

  • Courage (शौर्य): Fearless in battle, even against fate.
  • Generosity (दान): Gave away even life-protecting armor.
  • Loyalty (निष्ठा): Stood by Duryodhana despite knowing the truth.
  • Tragic Grandeur: A hero undone not by weakness, but by noble virtues carried to extremes.

Karṇa is one of the most courageous and complex heroes of the Mahabharata. His life teaches that true heroism lies not only in victory, but in unwavering commitment to one’s values—even in the face of inevitable loss.


(This post is a part of Blogchatter A2Z Challenge 2026 and backlink to www.theblogchatter.com)

2 comments:

  1. Karna is a character that fascinated me from my youth. In fact, that liking owes itself to Kuttikrishna Marar's Malayalam interpretation of the epic, Bharata Paryatanam, which was a textbook in my college days. I still remember how Karna's appearance on the scene is described. Kunti recognises him instantly in Marar's interpretation. The confict between her maternal feelings and her marital fidelity is contrasted with Karna's own internal conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know about your liking for Karna and Kuttikrishna Marar's Malayalam interpretation of the epic

      Delete

SEVEN FASCINATING TOPICS FROM SANSKRIT LITERATURE - 7. THE KATHASARITSAGARA

  THE KATHĀSARITSĀGARA: AN OCEAN OF INTERTWINED STORIES The Kathāsaritsāgara , meaning “The Ocean of the Streams of Stories,” is one of t...